Being arrested or charged with a crime is serious; being convicted will have lasting repercussions. From imprisonment to fines to losing your civil rights, your freedom and future are hanging in the balance. Now is the time to contact the Law Office of Mo Abusaft.
Our firm is a leading criminal defense practice representing individuals in South Carolina. Keenly aware that prosecutors have an unfair advantage over the accused, we leverage our skills and resources to level the playing field during trial.
Lead attorney Monier “Mo” Abusaft has a well-earned reputation as a dedicated advocate who fights for justice. Regardless of the charges facing you, our trial lawyers will work to achieve the best possible outcome. Contact our Spartanburg office today for a consultation.
Common Criminal Offenses In South Carolina
We have extensive experience successfully defending clients against all types of misdemeanor and felony charges.
Assault and Battery
You can be charged with assault and battery if you injure or attempt to injure another person or cause someone to fear you will harm them. There are four degrees of assault and battery:
- Assault and Battery in the Third Degree – Also known as Simple Assault, this is a misdemeanor charge that involves unlawfully injuring someone or attempting to injure another person with the present ability to do so.
- Assault and Battery in the Second Degree – This misdemeanor offense occurs when a person unlawfully injures another person, causing moderate bodily harm. This charge also involves non-consensual touching of a person’s private parts, either under or above their clothing.
- Assault and Battery in the First Degree – This is a felony offense that involves intentionally injuring another person, causing great bodily harm, or injuring someone during the commission of a crime such as theft, robbery, burglary, or kidnapping.
- Assault and Battery of a High and Aggravated Nature (ABHAN) – This charge is a felony that involves causing great bodily harm to another person by means likely to produce death.
The penalties for assault and battery can be severe and depend on the severity of the victim’s injuries, which makes having an experienced South Carolina criminal defense attorney essential.
Domestic violence occurs when someone causes or threatens harm to a family or household member: a current or former spouse, a fiance or fiancee, a child, the co-parent of a child, a current or former dating partner, or individuals who live or have lived in the same household.
A domestic violence conviction can result in imprisonment and fines; even an accusation can cause lasting damage to your reputation. Unfortunately, false accusations are not uncommon, often in contentious divorce and child custody cases. Let our domestic violence attorney choose the best line of defense.
There are two types of drunk driving charges in South Carolina – DUI and DUAC:
- DUI (driving under the influence) – operating a motor vehicle under the influence of any substance.
- DUAC (driving with unlawful alcohol content) – operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol with a blood alcohol content (BAC) at or above .08 percent
Because drunk and drugged driving are inherently dangerous, the state vigorously enforces DUI laws. Being arrested does not mean you will be convicted, as long as you have an experienced DUI attorney handle your case.
At the Law Office of Mo Abusaft, we have extensive experience defending clients against state and federal narcotics offenses such as:
- Possession with the intent to sell
- Manufacturing or cultivation
- Distribution or trafficking
If you have been charged with a drug crime, we will carefully weigh the evidence against you, advise you of your options, and work to win an acquittal.
Theft in South Carolina is referred to as larceny that falls under two categories based on the value of what was taken:
Also referred to as “petty theft,” this offense involves the theft of property or services valued at $2,000 or less; shoplifting is a common petty theft charge. Petit Larceny is considered a misdemeanor, punishable by fines of up $1,000 and 30 days in jail.
Also referred to as “grand theft,” this is a felony offense with two classifications:
- Taking property or services valued between $2,000 and $10,000 – penalties include fines and up to 5 years in prison
- Taking property or services valued at $10,000 or more – penalties include fines and up to 10 years in prison
Whether you have been charged with petty or grand theft, don’t go it alone. Our South Carolina theft lawyer will assess your case and advise you of all your legal options.
Homicide is a felony involving an intentional, unintentional, premeditated, or reckless act that results in the death of another person. The Law Office of Mo Abusaft represents individuals charged with homicide offenses in South Carolina, including:
- Murder – the intentional killing of another person with malice aforethought
- Voluntary Manslaughter – the intentional killing of another person without malice aforethought
- Involuntary Manslaughter – the unintentional killing of another without malice while engaged in (1) an unlawful activity not naturally tending to cause death or great bodily harm or (2) a lawful activity with reckless disregard for the safety of others
- Homicide by Child Abuse – causing the death of a child under 11 years old while committing child abuse or neglect with extreme indifference to human life, or knowingly assisting another person in committing child abuse or neglect, resulting in the death
Murder charges can result in penalties ranging from a minimum sentence of 30 years to life without parole to the death penalty, which makes working with an attorney experienced in defending homicide cases crucial.
How Our Firm Can Help
At the Law Office Of Mo Abusaft, our comprehensive knowledge of the South Carolina Code of Laws and our trial skills make us uniquely capable of defending you. Our legal team will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation of your case
- Obtain and review police records
- Interview any witnesses to the alleged crime
- Explain the legal process to you in understandable terms
- Help you navigate the criminal justice system
- Choose the best line of defense
- Aggressively defend you in court
We understand what’s at stake for you and will work diligently to protect your rights and freedom.
Contact Our Experienced
South Carolina Criminal Defense Attorney
If you have been arrested or charged with a crime, trust the Law Office of Mo Abusaft to help you fight for justice. Contact us today so we can start preparing your defense.